The Baileys Women’s Prize for Fiction today announced the 2017 longlist. Now in its twenty-second year, the Prize celebrates excellence, originality and accessibility in writing by women in English from throughout the world. The announcement coincides with International Women’s Day 2017.
The 16 longlisted writers and the titles of their novels are:
• Stay With Me by Ayọ̀bámi Adébáyọ̀̀ (Canongate)
• The Power by Naomi Alderman (Viking)
• Hag-Seed by Margaret Atwood (Hogarth)
• Little Deaths by Emma Flint (Picador)
• The Mare by Mary Gaitskill (Serpent’s Tail)
• The Dark Circle by Linda Grant (Virago)
• The Lesser Bohemians by Eimear McBride (Faber & Faber)
• Midwinter by Fiona Melrose (Corsair)
• The Sport of Kings by C.E. Morgan (4th Estate)
• The Woman Next Door by Yewande Omotoso (Chatto & Windus)
• The Lonely Hearts Hotel by Heather O’Neill (riverrun)
• The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry (Serpent’s Tail)
• Barkskins by Annie Proulx (4th Estate)
• First Love by Gwendoline Riley (Granta)
• Do Not Say We Have Nothing by Madeleine Thien (Granta)
• The Gustav Sonata by Rose Tremain (Chatto & Windus)
The winner will receive a cheque for £30,000 and a limited edition bronze known as a ‘Bessie’, created and donated by the artist Grizel Niven. The shortlist will be announced on 3 April 2017, and the winner will be presented with the Prize at an awards ceremony at the Royal Festival Hall on 7 June 2017.
This year’s judges are Tessa Ross (Chair), Sam Baker, Katie Derham, Aminatta Forna and Sara Pascoe.
More about the Prize
The Baileys Women’s Prize for Fiction is one of the most respected and celebrated literary awards worldwide. An annual prize, it celebrates the very best full length fiction written by women throughout the world.
For full details of the Press Release visit the Baileys website.
Keep up to date with the Prize
Shortlist announced – Monday 3 April
Shortlist readings – Monday 5 June
Winner announced – Wednesday 7 June