Afternoon Tea with Jen Campbell
7 July @ 14:30 - 15:15 BST
Grab a cuppa and get to know best-selling author and award-winning poet Jen Campbell. Jen will be in conversation with ADCI Network organiser Claire Wade to discuss Jen’s work and career as an advocate for disability, and will offer a glimpse into her creative routine.
This event is part of ADCI @ Home, organised by the SoA’s Authors with Disabilities and Chronic Illnesses Network (ADCI). It is a week-long celebration of authors & illustrators living with disabilities and chronic illnesses and will include an Afternoon Tea, Industry Insider and Professional Development event.
All events will take place online via Zoom with live captioning and BSL interpretation
All ADCI Network events will have the following accessibility features:
- Live captioning
- BSL interpretation
- Post event transcription for captions
- Audio description
- Welcome, introductions and housekeeping from Claire Wade (2 mins)
- Introduction from Jen Campbell and glimpse into her creative routine (15-25 mins)
- Q&A with audience (10-15 mins)
Send us your questions in advance
If you would like to send questions for Jen Campbell in advance, email email@example.com with ‘Jen Campbell – Question’ in the subject header. We will prioritise questions sent in advance and answer as many as we can from the audience on the day.
SoA @ Home Fundraising Bookshop
Browse our virtual Bookshop.org store featuring books by authors and speakers taking part in the SoA @ Home Festival. When you make a purchase using our affiliate links a percentage will go to the Authors’ Contingency Fund, providing hardship grants to authors in financial difficulty.
This member-led peer support network aims to break feelings of isolation by connecting authors facing common experiences, in an online community that offers continuing professional and personal support. Our primary aim is to offer a friendly and supportive space where you can feel safe to ask questions, share experiences, offer advice, and make new connections.
Helping to encourage and enable more disabled characters in books, on screen, on the radio and online. We believe the best way of doing this is by raising the profile of disabled authors, building confidence, and helping more creative practitioners with disabilities to progress their careers.
This network can also serve as a platform to better communicate with industry representatives, to raise awareness of the needs of disabled authors to encourage more inclusivity and to highlight the value of these writers to the industry.
Jen Campbell – Author, Poet
Jen Campbell is a bestselling author and award-winning poet. She has written ten books for adults and children, spanning short stories, nonfiction, poetry and picture books. Her latest books include The Sister Who Ate Her Brothers, The Beginning of the World in the Middle of the Night and The Girl Aquarium. She is also a disability advocate, gives talks on the history of fairy tales, and you can find her reviewing books online, in print, and on the radio.
Claire Wade – Author, Founder of the ADCI
Claire Wade is the author of The Choice, winner of the Good Housekeeping First Novel Competition and The East Anglian Book Award for Fiction. Claire founded the group Authors with Disabilities and Chronic Illnesses (ADCI) to connect and support disabled authors and work towards better access and inclusivity in the publishing industry.
Need to know
Before the event
- Once registered, you will be sent a confirmation email with the Zoom link
- If the confirmation email doesn’t arrive in your inbox, please check your junk /spam email folder.
- Please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your Safe Senders list so you receive our confirmation, and reminder emails
During the event
- This online event will take place on Zoom Webinar; you will not be visible on screen but will be able ask questions via the Q&A function or interact via the chat box
- This event will be recorded but you won’t be on screen
- Attendees have the option to turn on the live transcript option
- This event will have live BSL interpretation
- This event is 45 minutes.
After the event
- Hashtag for this event: #SoAatHome
- You’ll be able to catch the recording on our Vimeo channel
We'll send you the Zoom joining details via email.
- 7 July
14:30 - 15:15 BST
- Event Categories:
- Authors with Disabilities and Chronic Illnesses Network, SoA @ Home
- Event Tags:
- ADCI Week, Afternoon tea with..., SoA @ Home
- Lilly Brend-Fish
28 June @ 10:00 - 11:30 BSTVirtual Event
1 July @ 11:00 - 11:45 BSTVirtual Event
5 July @ 11:00 - 12:00 BSTVirtual Event