- This event has passed.
Afternoon Tea with Jessica Huie
24 February @ 14:30 - 15:15 GMT
Grab a cuppa and get to know Purpose author and Academy founder, Jessica Huie MBE. Jessica will be in conversation with anti-racism activist and author of The Good Ally, Nova Reid. Jessica will discuss her work, career, and offer a glimpse into her creative routine.
- Welcome, introductions and housekeeping from Nova Reid (2 mins)
- Introduction from Jessica Huie and glimpse into her creative routine (10-15 mins)
- Advice for authors on staying creative and connected (10 mins)
- Q&A with audience (10-15 mins)
Send us your questions in advance
If you would like to send questions for Jessica Huie in advance, email firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Jessica Huie – Question’ in the subject header. We will prioritise questions sent in advance and answer as many as we can from the audience on the day.
SoA @ Home fundraising bookshop
Browse our virtual Bookshop.org store featuring books by authors and speakers taking part in the SoA @ Home Festival. When you make a purchase using our affiliate links a percentage will go to the Authors’ Contingency Fund, providing hardship grants to authors in financial difficulty.
Jessica Huie – Author
Jessica Huie MBE is Author of Purpose published by Hay House and Founder of The Purpose Academy. In Purpose, Jessica invites us to reconnect with who we are beneath the layers of roles, titles and belief systems. In an era where so many of us define our identity by the title on our business card, Jessica promises that “stripped back is where we meet ourselves.”
Nova Reid – Author
TED speaker, author and Social Impact Precious Award Winner Nova Reid is an anti-racism activist who uses her professional background in mental wellbeing to encourage meaningful change from the inside out. Her debut book, The Good Ally, was published by HQ (HarperCollins) in September 2021.
Need to know
Before the event
- Once registered, you will be sent a confirmation email with the Zoom link
- If the confirmation email doesn’t arrive in your inbox, please check your junk /spam email folder.
- Please add email@example.com to your Safe Senders list so you receive our confirmation, and reminder emails
During the event
- This online event will take place on Zoom Webinar; you will not be visible on screen but will be able ask questions via the Q&A function or interact via the chat box
- This event will be recorded but you won’t be on screen
- Attendees have the option to turn on the live transcript option
- This event is 45 minutes.
After the event
- Hashtag for this event: #SoAatHome
- You’ll be able to catch the recording on our Vimeo channel
Book your place using the registration form below.
All our Afternoon Teas are free to everyone but, if you can afford it, we recommend a minimum £5 donation to the Authors’ Contingency Fund to help us support authors facing financial hardship during the health crisis. DONATE HERE
Financial support for authors in need through the health crisis and beyond
Since March 2020, the Authors’ Contingency Fund has distributed over £1 million in small grants to authors facing financial hardship due to COVID-19.
With at least 57% of authors facing financial losses during the pandemic, we have helped people struggling financially due to contractual, employment and event cancellations, others who have lost income due to illness, and others prevented from working because of caring responsibilities.
As the health crisis continues, applications for grants continue to come in, and our emergency funds are running low.
So, if you are in a position to help, please donate via the link below. If you are an author facing financial hardship, please click here to see if we can help.
20% off your first year with discount code SOAFESTIVAL20
The Society of Authors is the UK’s biggest trade union for authors – representing more than 11,300 writers, illustrators, translators and other creative practitioners.
Our standard subscription rate is just £26.25 per quarter (£18.50 for students).
As an SoA member, you’ll get:
- Access to all our SoA @ Home Festival events for free
- Unlimited one-to-one professional advice
- Membership of our online and real-world professional networks
- A range of member-only discounts, including books, insurance and travel
- And much more.