- This event has passed.
Afternoon Tea with Serlina Boyd
25 November @ 14:30 - 15:15 GMT
Pop the kettle on and get to know Serlina Boyd in conversation with Afua Adom. Serlina will share her creative routine, and insights on her debut book Cocoa Girl Awesome Hair.
- Welcome and housekeeping from Afua Adom (2 minutes)
- Introduction from Serlina Boyd and glimpse into their creative routine (2 minutes)
- Advice for authors on staying creative and connected (15 minutes)
- Q&A with audience (10-15 minutes)
Send us your questions in advance
If you would like to send questions for Serlina Boyd in advance, email SJackson@societyofauthors.org with ‘Serlina Boyd – Question’ in the subject header. We will prioritise questions sent in advance and try to answer as many as we can from the audience on the day.
SoA @ Home Fundraising Bookshop
Browse our virtual Bookshop.org and Blackwell’s stores featuring books by authors and speakers taking part in the SoA @ Home Festival. When you make a purchase using our affiliate links a percentage will go to the Authors’ Contingency Fund, providing hardship grants to authors in financial difficulty.
Serlina Boyd – Author
Serlina is the founder of Cocoa, the UK’s first magazine for Black children aged 7 – 11. Through Cocoa Girl and Cocoa Boy, Serlina aims to support carers and parents as well as tackle the deep-rooted problem of underrepresentation of Black people in the media. Serlina is a qualified childcare provider and has worked in the publishing industry for 18 years. Her debut book ‘Cocoa Girl Awesome Hair’ was published in October 2021 and is a guide to styling and celebrates Black hair.
Afua Adom – Journalist and broadcaster
Opinionated, charismatic and provocative, Afua Adom is one of the leading voices on diversity in Britain. A TV news anchor, commentator, journalist and broadcaster, Afua is in high demand, regularly appearing on ITV’s This Morning, Good Morning Britain, Jeremy Vine on Channel 5, the BBC, Sky and CNN, as well as STV, Yanga! TV, TalkRadio and LBC.
Twitter @afuathescot |Instagram @afuathesoct
Need to know
- This online event will take place on Zoom Webinar; you will not be visible on screen but will be able ask questions via the Q&A function or interact via the chat box
- Once registered, you will be sent a confirmation email with the Zoom link
- Attendees will be muted but are welcome to keep their cameras on
- This event will be recorded, and you’ll be able to catch up on our Vimeo channel
- Attendees have the option to turn on the live transcript option
- Hashtag for this event: #SoAatHome
Book your place using the registration form below.
All our Afternoon Teas are free to everyone but, if you can afford it, we recommend a minimum £5 donation to the Authors’ Contingency Fund to help us support authors facing financial hardship during the health crisis. DONATE HERE
Financial support for authors in need through the health crisis and beyond
Since March 2020, the Authors’ Contingency Fund has distributed over £1 million in small grants to authors facing financial hardship due to COVID-19.
With at least 57% of authors facing financial losses during the pandemic, we have helped people struggling financially due to contractual, employment and event cancellations, others who have lost income due to illness, and others prevented from working because of caring responsibilities.
As the health crisis continues, applications for grants continue to come in, and our emergency funds are running low.
So, if you are in a position to help, please donate via the link below. If you are an author facing financial hardship, please click here to see if we can help.
20% off your first year with discount code SOAFESTIVAL20
The Society of Authors is the UK’s biggest trade union for authors – representing more than 11,300 writers, illustrators, translators and other creative practitioners.
Our standard subscription rate is just £26.25 per quarter (£18.50 for students).
As an SoA member, you’ll get:
- Access to all our SoA @ Home Festival events for free
- Unlimited one-to-one professional advice
- Membership of our online and real-world professional networks
- A range of member-only discounts, including books, insurance and travel
- And much more.