- This event has passed.
Comics Creators Network Social
29 September @ 15:30 - 17:00 BST
This event is for Society of Authors’ Comics Creators Network (CCN) members to meet up online with their steering committee.
- Meet the Comics Creators Network Committee Members (15 minutes)
- Breakout rooms hosted by the individual Committee members for informal chat, networking, and information sharing (45 minutes)
- Return to main room where we will discuss the following (30 minutes):
– What can the Network do for you?
– How can we address challenges facing comics creators and advocate for better industry standards?
Send your questions in advance
If you would like to send questions in advance, email firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘CNN Network’ in the subject header. We will prioritise questions sent in advance and try to answer as many as we can from the audience on the day.
The line-up: Meet the Comics Creators Committee
Nyla Ahmad is Reading Communities Manager at Scottish Book Trust, leading on programming Book Week Scotland. Nyla was the inaugural awardee of Literature Alliance Scotland’s Next Level Award and currently serves on the Glasgow Zine Library board of trustees. She previously co-led the BHP Comics project, Full Colour, a mentoring programme for young comics creators from BAME backgrounds. She has also worked for the Glasgow Women’s Library on their museum access project, Equality in Progress. Nyla’s MPhil thesis examined South Asian and Muslim representation in comics. She served as chair of the Scottish Independent Comic Book Alliance Awards for three years.
Dan Berry is a cartoonist, illustrator, podcaster and educator based in the town of Shrewsbury, UK. He is a frequent collaborator with the author David Gaffney and is currently working on the follow-up to The Three Rooms in Valerie’s Head; a book called Rivers, both published by Top Shelf Comics. He has independently published his comics for a decade and is frequently called upon to illustrate Michael Rosen poems. Since 2012 he has produced the podcast Make It Then Tell Everybody, of which there are over two hundred interviews with other artists, talking about what they do and how they do it.
Hannah Berry is a comics creator, cartoonist, writer, illustrator, and current UK Comics Laureate. She is the author of three highly acclaimed and occasionally award-winning graphic novels published by Jonathan Cape, and in 2018 was inducted as a fellow of the Royal Society of Literature.
Dr Helen Kara
Dr Helen Kara is an independent researcher, scholar and author who creates and promotes the use of comics to support teaching and research in academia.
Alice Nuttall is an indie comics creator, and writer of three webcomics, Footloose, Cherry, and Black Market Magic, co-created with artist Emily Brady. She is an admin for the CVA, an online group supporting UK-based indie comics creators, and a regular attendee at comic conventions around the UK.
Woodrow Phoenix is a writer, artist, and graphic designer based in London and Cambridge. His work has appeared in national UK newspapers, in magazines and comics across Europe, the USA and Japan, and in television projects for Walt Disney and Cartoon Network. His most recent book, Crash Course, was published in August 2020.
About the Comics Creators Network
The Comics Creators Network was set up in 2020 to help address challenges facing comics creators and advocate for better industry standards. It offers professional support for all types of comics creators and graphic novelists in the UK.
Need to know
Before the event
- Once registered, we will send you a confirmation email with the Zoom link
- If the confirmation email doesn’t arrive in your inbox, please check your junk /spam email folder
- Please add email@example.com to your Safe Senders list so you receive our confirmation, and reminder emails
During the event
- This online event will take place on Zoom Meetings; you will have the option to turn your camera on or off; you will be muted on arrival
- This event will be recorded but you won’t be on screen
- Attendees have the option to turn on the live transcript option
- This event is 90 minutes
After the event
- You’ll be able to catch the recording on our Vimeo channel
Book your place using the registration form below. This event is for SoA Members only.
If you are unable to book using the registration box below, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the name and date of the event you’d like to register for and we’ll confirm your place.