- This event has passed.
Feel Good Friday – Mindful Collage Class
26 November @ 11:00 - 11:45 GMT
Create an impactful pop-art style self-portrait with collage artist Birungi Kawooya, who will help you to reveal your inner creative. “But I can’t draw!” you say. Self-taught artist, Birungi teaches absolute beginners to shake off nerves, focus the mind and create freely. Using scrap paper from around your home, you will surprise yourself and transform yourself into a masterpiece! It could inspire your next author portrait.
You will need:
- a sheet of white paper
- three identically sized sheets of coloured paper that are different colours/patterns e.g. magazine/newspaper/wrapping or wallpaper
- glue/blu-tack/double-sided tape
- an open mind!
- Welcome and housekeeping by from Lilly Brend-Fish, Events & Outreach Assistant (3 mins)
- Birungi Kawooya’s self-portrait collage session (40 mins)
- Closing comments from Lilly Brend-Fish (2 mins)
Send your questions in advance
Please send any pictures of your puppy or dog with name and age and/or questions in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘ Feel Good Friday – Mindful Collage Class’ in the subject header.
SoA @ Home Fundraising Bookshop
Browse our virtual Bookshop.org and Blackwell’s stores featuring books by authors and speakers taking part in the SoA @ Home Festival. When you make a purchase using our affiliate links a percentage will go to the Authors’ Contingency Fund, providing hardship grants to authors in financial difficulty.
Birungi Kawooya, Artist
Birungi Kawooya is a collage artist and teacher on a wellbeing journey, inspired by everyday Black women and dance from the African diaspora. Her art explores portraiture and movement through paper silhouettes illuminated by Ugandan batik textiles. Kawooya’s work celebrates Black womxnhood, elevating rest and joy. Nostalgia and family inform her practice, from memories of kitchen discos with her siblings to Kiganda dancers at weddings.
Website birungikawooyaart.com |Instagram @birungiart |Twitter @birungiart
Need to know
- This online event will take place on Zoom Meetings; you will be asked muted but are welcome to keep your camera on and ask questions via the chat box
- Once registered, you will be sent a confirmation email with the Zoom link
- Attendees will be muted but are welcome to keep their cameras on
- This event will be recorded, and you’ll be able to catch up on our Vimeo channel
- Attendees have the option to turn on the live transcript option
- Hashtag for this event: #SoAatHome
Book your place by using the registration below.
All SoA @ Home Festival sessions are free to SoA Members only but, if you can afford it, we recommend a minimum £5 donation to the Authors’ Contingency Fund to help us support authors facing financial hardship during the health crisis. DONATE HERE
Financial support for authors in need through the health crisis and beyond
Since March 2020, the Authors’ Contingency Fund has distributed over £1 million in small grants to authors facing financial hardship due to COVID-19.
With at least 57% of authors facing financial losses during the pandemic, we have helped people struggling financially due to contractual, employment and event cancellations, others who have lost income due to illness, and others prevented from working because of caring responsibilities.
As the health crisis continues, applications for grants continue to come in, and our emergency funds are running low.
So, if you are in a position to help, please donate via the link below. If you are an author facing financial hardship, please click here to see if we can help.
20% off your first year with discount code SOAFESTIVAL20
The Society of Authors is the UK’s biggest trade union for authors – representing more than 11,300 writers, illustrators, translators and other creative practitioners.
Our standard subscription rate is just £26.25 per quarter (£18.50 for students).
As an SoA member, you’ll get:
- Access to all our SoA @ Home Festival events for free
- Unlimited one-to-one professional advice
- Membership of our online and real-world professional networks
- A range of member-only discounts, including books, insurance and travel
- And much more.