- This event has passed.
Feel Good Friday – Virtual Literary Walk
11 November @ 11:00 - 11:45 GMT
Join us for a virtual literary walk around the City of London, starting with the places known to and written about by Charles Dickens. We’ll chat about Dr Johnson, his dictionary and his cat. We’ll then see where Samuel Pepys was born and the site of William Shakespeare’s playhouse. We will take in the Stationers’ Hall and discuss some of the key poets such as John Donne, William Wordsworth, John Milton, John Keats and TS Eliot.
We’ll look at Jane Austen’s remarks about the city, the Bronte Sisters’ visits, the warm reception Phillis Wheatley received, the powerful ‘Gilt of Cain’ sculpture by Lemn Sissay and Michael Visocchi, and much more.
- Welcome, introductions and housekeeping from Lilly Brend-Fish, Events & Outreach Assistant, SoA (2 mins)
- Virtual Literary Walk by Sam Jacobs (40 mins)
- Summary and closing comments (3 mins)
Who is this workshop for?
Anyone interested in the sights of London and their associations with writers and books.
What will this workshop cover?
We’ll look at places associated with Dickens, Dr Johnson, William Hazlitt, John Wilkes, Edgar Wallace, Jane Austen, Samuel Pepys, John Donne, William Shakespeare, William Wordsworth, Thomas More, the Bronte Sisters, John Milton, TS Eliot, Lemn Sissay, Phillis Wheatley, Alexander Pope, Isaac Rosenberg and more.
Sam is a certified green badge City of London guide, through the Institute of Tourism course. He leads walks around Literary London, Wren’s Churches, Fire of London sites, Smithfield, Roman places of interest, Fleet Street and photography tours. Sam has lived and worked in London all his life. With a degree in Literature from Cambridge University, he has worked in computer software since the early 80s. He is currently serving as a trustee of two national charities.
Send us your questions
If you would like to send questions in advance, email [email protected] with ‘Virtual Literary Walk’ in the subject header. We will prioritise questions sent in advance and answer as many as we can from the audience on the day.
SoA @ Home Fundraising Bookshop
Browse our virtual Bookshop.org store featuring books by authors and speakers taking part in the SoA @ Home Festival. When you make a purchase using our affiliate links a percentage will go to the Authors’ Contingency Fund, providing hardship grants to authors in financial difficulty.
Need to know
Before the event
- Once registered, you will be sent a confirmation email with the Zoom link
- If the confirmation email doesn’t arrive in your inbox, please check your junk/spam email folder
- Please add [email protected] to your Safe Senders list so you receive our confirmation, and reminder emails
During the event
- This online event will take place on Zoom Meetings; you will have the option to be on camera or not, you can ask questions in the chat or directly
- This event will be recorded.
- Attendees have the option to turn on the live transcript option
- This event is 45 minutes
After the event
- Hashtag for this event: #SoAatHome
- You’ll be able to catch the recording on our Vimeo channel
Book your place by using the registration below.
All SoA @ Home Feel Good Friday sessions are free to SoA Members but, if you can afford it, we recommend a minimum £5 donation to the Authors’ Contingency Fund to help us support authors facing financial hardship during the health crisis. DONATE HERE
Want to join us in person? register for our Literary Walk here
If you are unable to book using the registration box below, please email [email protected] with the name and date of the event you’d like to register for and we’ll confirm your place.