- This event has passed.
Professional Development – Grow your Professional Network with LinkedIn
9 May @ 10:00 - 11:30 BST
LinkedIn is the go-to platform if you want to look professional online and make strong connections with people in the publishing industry. There are more than 34 million people on LinkedIn in the UK alone, but many people forget about it once they’ve made a profile.
Whilst other social media platforms may help your visibility with potential readers, LinkedIn is where you will find professional people who can help you with your work. Whether it’s publishers, agents, research subjects or a professional audience, LinkedIn will help you learn more about them and make connections.
- Welcome, introductions and housekeeping from Anna Ganley – Head of Staff, SoA (3 mins)
- Presentation by Louise Dillon (50 mins)
- Comfort break (5 mins)
- Q&A with audience – moderated by Anna Ganley, SoA (20 mins)
- Summary and closing comments (2 mins)
Who is this workshop for?
This workshop is designed for anyone who wants to be more visible online, make stronger connections with people in the publishing world or who needs to find professional people to further their work.
What will this workshop cover?
- What LinkedIn is and how people use it
- How to make your profile look professional
- How to find the right people to connect with
- Creating content that will show you at your best
- Practical tips
Send us your questions in advance
If you would like to send questions in advance, email [email protected] with ‘Grow your Professional Network in the subject header. We will prioritise questions sent in advance and answer as many as we can from the audience on the day.
SoA @ Home Fundraising Bookshop
Browse our virtual Bookshop.org store featuring books by authors and speakers taking part in the SoA @ Home Festival. When you make a purchase using our affiliate links, a percentage will go to the Authors’ Contingency Fund, providing hardship grants to authors in financial difficulty.
The Line -up
Louise Dillon – Founder, Armadillo Social
Louise has been training people to use social media and present themselves online for over 10 years. She’s worked with television companies, publishers, charities, and social enterprises as well as accounts dealing in leadership, divorce, death and how to make great Christmas cards. In her spare time, she is working on her first book.
Website: www.armadillosocial.com |Twitter: @armadillosocial | Instagram: @armadillosocial |
Facebook: armadillosocial | LinkedIn: louisedillonuk
Catch up with Louise’s previous #SoAatHome events:
Need to know
- Attendees will have the option to turn on the live transcript option to watch with subtitles
- If you require BSL interpretation for this event, please email [email protected]
Before the event
- Once registered, you will be sent a confirmation email with the Zoom link
- If the confirmation email doesn’t arrive in your inbox, please check your junk/spam email folder
- Please add [email protected] to your Safe Senders list so you receive our confirmation, and reminder emails
During the event
- This online event will take place on Zoom Webinar; you will not be visible on screen but will be able ask questions via the Q&A function or interact via the chat box
- This event will be recorded but you won’t be on screen
- This event is 90 minutes
After the event
- Hashtag for this event: #SoAatHome
- You’ll be able to catch the recording on our Vimeo channel
Book your place by using the registration below.
All #SoAatHome events are free but if you can afford to, please consider donating to our Authors’ Contingency Fund and we suggest a minimum donation of £5. The fund is to help professional authors experiencing financial hardship. DONATE HERE
Financial support for authors in need through the health crisis and beyond
Since March 2020, the Authors’ Contingency Fund has distributed over £1 million in small grants to authors facing financial hardship due to COVID-19.
With at least 57% of authors facing financial losses during the pandemic, we have helped people struggling financially due to contractual, employment and event cancellations, others who have lost income due to illness, and others prevented from working because of caring responsibilities.
As the health crisis continues, applications for grants continue to come in, and our emergency funds are running low.
So, if you are in a position to help, please donate via the link below. If you are an author facing financial hardship, please click here to see if we can help.
20% off your first year with discount code SOAFESTIVAL20
The Society of Authors is the UK’s biggest trade union for authors – representing more than 11,300 writers, illustrators, translators and other creative practitioners.
Our standard subscription rate is just £26.25 per quarter (£18.50 for students).
As an SoA member, you’ll get:
- Access to all our SoA @ Home Festival events for free
- Unlimited one-to-one professional advice
- Membership of our online and real-world professional networks
- A range of member-only discounts, including books, insurance and travel
- And much more.