- This event has passed.
Professional Development – How to get yourself booked on a Podcast
6 July @ 10:00 - 11:30 BST
Podcast interviews offer an effective way to build your brand and share your stories and message with new audiences, but it can be confusing to know which podcasts to pitch to, how to pitch and, if accepted, how to make the most of the opportunity. We will cover all this and more so that by the end of the session you will be a confident podcast guest.
This event is part of ADCI Week, organised by the SoA’s Authors with Disabilities and Chronic Illnesses Network (ADCI). It is a week-long celebration of authors & illustrators living with disabilities and chronic illnesses and will include an Afternoon Tea, Industry Insider and Professional Development event.
All ADCI Network events will have the following accessibility features:
- Live captioning
- BSL interpretation
- Post event transcription for captions
- Audio description
- Welcome, introductions and housekeeping by Lilly Brend-Fish, SoA (5 mins)
- Presentation by Victoria Bennion, Founder of Victoria Bennion Podcast Booking Agency (60 mins)
- Comfort break (5 minutes)
- Q&A with audience facilitated by Lilly Brend-Fish (20 mins)
- Summary and closing comments from Lilly Brend-Fish (5 mins)
Who is this workshop for?
The session would be ideal for writers who want to learn how to get booked on the right podcasts to strengthen their online presence, promote their books and grow their audience.
What will this workshop cover?
- The benefits of being a guest on podcasts
- The equipment needed
- How to find the right podcasts
- How to pitch to podcasts
- Best practices for your podcast interviews
- Choosing your call to action
- Repurposing your interviews to grow your platform
SoA @ Home Fundraising Bookshop
Browse our virtual Bookshop.org store featuring books by authors and speakers taking part in the SoA @ Home Festival. When you make a purchase using our affiliate links a percentage will go to the Authors’ Contingency Fund, providing hardship grants to authors in financial difficulty.
Send us your questions in advance
If you would like to send questions in advance, email firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Booked on a Podcast’ in the subject header. We will prioritise questions sent in advance and answer as many as we can from the audience on the day.
This member-led peer support network aims to break feelings of isolation by connecting authors facing common experiences, in an online community that offers continuing professional and personal support. Our primary aim is to offer a friendly and supportive space where you can feel safe to ask questions, share experiences, offer advice, and make new connections.
Helping to encourage and enable more disabled characters in books, on screen, on the radio and online. We believe the best way of doing this is by raising the profile of disabled authors, building confidence, and helping more creative practitioners with disabilities to progress their careers.
This network can also serve as a platform to better communicate with industry representatives, to raise awareness of the needs of disabled authors to encourage more inclusivity and to highlight the value of these writers to the industry.
Victoria Bennion – Founder, Victoria Bennion Podcast Booking Agency
Three years ago, Victoria, a marketer for 20 years, discovered the phenomenal impact of leveraging podcast interviews. Since then, Victoria and her team have booked hundreds of podcast interviews for expert business owners, authors and coaches, helping them build their brands and grow their businesses.
Need to know
Before the event
- Once registered, you will be sent a confirmation email with the Zoom link
- If the confirmation email doesn’t arrive in your inbox, please check your junk/spam email folder
- Please add email@example.com to your Safe Senders list so you receive our confirmation, and reminder emails
During the event
- This online event will take place on Zoom Webinar; you will not be visible on screen but will be able ask questions via the Q&A function or interact via the chat box
- This event will be recorded but you won’t be on screen
- This event will have live BSL Interpretation
- Attendees have the option to turn on the live transcript option
- This event is 90 minutes
After the event
- Hashtag for this event: #SoAatHome
- You’ll be able to catch the recording on our Vimeo channel
Book your place by using the registration below.
All SoA @ Home Festival Professional Development sessions are free to SoA Members but, if you can afford it, we recommend a minimum £5 donation to the Authors’ Contingency Fund to help us support authors facing financial hardship during the health crisis. DONATE HERE
Financial support for authors in need through the health crisis and beyond
Since March 2020, the Authors’ Contingency Fund has distributed over £1 million in small grants to authors facing financial hardship due to COVID-19.
With at least 57% of authors facing financial losses during the pandemic, we have helped people struggling financially due to contractual, employment and event cancellations, others who have lost income due to illness, and others prevented from working because of caring responsibilities.
As the health crisis continues, applications for grants continue to come in, and our emergency funds are running low.
So, if you are in a position to help, please donate via the link below. If you are an author facing financial hardship, please click here to see if we can help.
20% off your first year with discount code SOAFESTIVAL20
The Society of Authors is the UK’s biggest trade union for authors – representing more than 11,300 writers, illustrators, translators and other creative practitioners.
Our standard subscription rate is just £26.25 per quarter (£18.50 for students).
As an SoA member, you’ll get:
- Access to all our SoA @ Home Festival events for free
- Unlimited one-to-one professional advice
- Membership of our online and real-world professional networks
- A range of member-only discounts, including books, insurance and travel
- And much more.
- 6 July
10:00 - 11:30 BST
- Event Categories:
- Authors with Disabilities and Chronic Illnesses Network, SoA @ Home
- Event Tags:
- ADCI Week, Professional development, SoA @ Home
- Lilly Brend-Fish
29 September @ 14:30 - 15:15 BSTVirtual Event
30 September @ 11:00 - 11:45 BSTVirtual Event
4 October @ 10:00 - 11:30 BSTVirtual Event