- This event has passed.
Professional Development – How to Market your Play
22 March @ 10:00 - 11:30 GMT
This SoA@Home event run by freelance PR consultant Binita Walia looks at communications broadly (PR, Marketing, social media and networking) as tools for getting your play known. When you have a play on with a theatre company it is useful to understand how to leverage that opportunity with a view to raising your visibility within the industry.
- Welcome, introductions and housekeeping – Sophia A Jackson, SoA (5 mins)
- Presentation by Binita Walia (45 mins)
- Comfort break (5 mins)
- Q&A with audience (20 mins)
- Summary and closing comments (5 mins)
What will this workshop cover?
It will cover:
- PR – how it works and how you can support your own PR
- Working with PR’s
- Storytelling your own play
- General marketing
Who is this workshop for?
This session is for new writers or writers who are wishing to develop in the theatre industry and learn about the power of telling your story through PR.
Send us your questions
If you would like to send questions in advance, email email@example.com with ‘How to Market Your Play’ in the subject header. We will prioritise questions sent in advance and answer as many as we can from the audience on the day.
SoA @ Home Fundraising Bookshop
Browse our virtual Bookshop.org store featuring books by authors and speakers taking part in the SoA @ Home Festival. When you make a purchase using our affiliate links a percentage will go to the Authors’ Contingency Fund, providing hardship grants to authors in financial difficulty.
Binita Walia – Freelance PR Consultant
I am an experienced freelance Public Relations consultant. I help companies and individuals raise their visibility through strategic PR and powerful storytelling. I work with a diverse portfolio in the arts, creative and arts/tech sectors on retainers, long and short-term projects. Current clients include The Poetry Archive, Oily Cart, tiata fahodzi and Flatpack Festival.
Need to know
Before the event
- Once registered, you will be sent a confirmation email with the Zoom link
- If the confirmation email doesn’t arrive in your inbox, please check your junk/spam email folder
- Please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your Safe Senders list so you receive our confirmation, and reminder emails
During the event
- This online event will take place on Zoom Webinar; you will not be visible on screen but will be able ask questions via the Q&A function or interact via the chat box
- Attendees have the option to turn on the live transcript option
- This event is 90 minutes
After the event
- Hashtag for this event: #SoAatHome
Book your place by using the registration below.
All SoA @ Home Professional Development sessions are free but, if you can afford it, we recommend a minimum £5 donation to the Authors’ Contingency Fund to help us support authors facing financial hardship during the health crisis. DONATE HERE
Financial support for authors in need through the health crisis and beyond
Since March 2020, the Authors’ Contingency Fund has distributed over £1 million in small grants to authors facing financial hardship due to COVID-19.
With at least 57% of authors facing financial losses during the pandemic, we have helped people struggling financially due to contractual, employment and event cancellations, others who have lost income due to illness, and others prevented from working because of caring responsibilities.
As the health crisis continues, applications for grants continue to come in, and our emergency funds are running low.
So, if you are in a position to help, please donate via the link below. If you are an author facing financial hardship, please click here to see if we can help.
20% off your first year with discount code SOAFESTIVAL20
The Society of Authors is the UK’s biggest trade union for authors – representing more than 11,300 writers, illustrators, translators and other creative practitioners.
Our standard subscription rate is just £26.25 per quarter (£18.50 for students).
As an SoA member, you’ll get:
- Access to all our SoA @ Home Festival events for free
- Unlimited one-to-one professional advice
- Membership of our online and real-world professional networks
- A range of member-only discounts, including books, insurance and travel
- And much more.