- This event has passed.
Professional Development – How to Write a Press Release to Promote your Book
26 April @ 10:00 - 11:30 BST
SoA member Angela Witter shares her 35 years’ experience in PR and marketing to offer valuable tips on all you need to write a press release to promote your book. PR is NOT just a press release. In this #SoAatHome professional development workshop, you’ll learn how to find and write a news story as part of a promotional strategy. The session will also cover tips on how and where to share the story and pitch to editors and journalists.
- Welcome, introductions and housekeeping – Sophia A Jackson, SoA (5 mins)
- Presentation by Angela Witter (45 mins)
- Comfort break (5 mins)
- Q&A with audience (20 mins)
- Summary and closing comments (5 mins)
What will this workshop cover?
- How a press release fits into PR
- Overview of steps to a full public relations plan
- Discover how to find the best ingredients for a newsworthy story
- Stir in suitable mediums for effectively sharing news
- Top tips for serving up a release
- Whip up a perfect plan to pitch your story
Who is this workshop for?
Writers who want to find out more about drafting their own press releases and gain a greater understanding of public relations (PR). This event is ideal for anyone who aspires to share their news – on or offline – in newspapers and magazines.
Send us your questions in advance
If you would like to send questions in advance, email sJackson@societyofauthors.org with ‘How to write a press release’ in the subject header. We will prioritise questions sent in advance and answer as many as we can from the audience on the day.
SoA @ Home fundraising bookshop
Browse our virtual Bookshop.org store featuring books by authors and speakers taking part in the SoA @ Home Festival. When you make a purchase using our affiliate links a percentage will go to the Authors’ Contingency Fund, providing hardship grants to authors in financial difficulty.
Angela Witter -Marketing/PR consultant, storyteller, and coach
Angela “The Story Chef” – Over 30 years’ career experience including estate management, NHS and education marketing. I help solopreneurs to craft stories for use in their promotion. As a teacher in business and course provider, I share a passion for PR and raising the profile of aspiring business owners in a wide range of industries.
Need to know
Before the event
- Once registered, you will be sent a confirmation email with the Zoom link
- If the confirmation email doesn’t arrive in your inbox, please check your junk/spam email folder
- Please add email@example.com to your Safe Senders list so you receive our confirmation, and reminder emails
During the event
- This online event will take place on Zoom Webinar; you will not be visible on screen but will be able ask questions via the Q&A function or interact via the chat box
- This event will be recorded but you won’t be on screen
- Attendees have the option to turn on the live transcript option
- This event is 90 minutes
After the event
- Hashtag for this event: #SoAatHome
- You’ll be able to catch the recording on our Vimeo channel
Book your place by using the registration below.
All SoA @ Home Festival Professional Development sessions are free to SoA Members but, if you can afford it, we recommend a minimum £5 donation to the Authors’ Contingency Fund to help us support authors facing financial hardship during the health crisis. DONATE HERE
Financial support for authors in need through the health crisis and beyond
Since March 2020, the Authors’ Contingency Fund has distributed over £1 million in small grants to authors facing financial hardship due to COVID-19.
With at least 57% of authors facing financial losses during the pandemic, we have helped people struggling financially due to contractual, employment and event cancellations, others who have lost income due to illness, and others prevented from working because of caring responsibilities.
As the health crisis continues, applications for grants continue to come in, and our emergency funds are running low.
So, if you are in a position to help, please donate via the link below. If you are an author facing financial hardship, please click here to see if we can help.
20% off your first year with discount code SOAFESTIVAL20
The Society of Authors is the UK’s biggest trade union for authors – representing more than 11,300 writers, illustrators, translators and other creative practitioners.
Our standard subscription rate is just £26.25 per quarter (£18.50 for students).
As an SoA member, you’ll get:
- Access to all our SoA @ Home Festival events for free
- Unlimited one-to-one professional advice
- Membership of our online and real-world professional networks
- A range of member-only discounts, including books, insurance and travel
- And much more.