- This event has passed.
Professional Development – Powerful Professional Presence and Authentic Visibility
10 May @ 10:00 - 11:30 BST
Led by SoA member Rupal Patel, this workshop will help writers reach their audience (readers, agents, publishers, fellow writers, etc) to be seen and heard by more people. Instead of forcing you to become someone you’re not, we’ll leverage who you are, your strengths, and your comfort zone and show you how to stretch just a little bit (or a lot!) more into the spotlight. Being authentically YOU instead of pretending to be someone you’re not.
The session will be interactive and workshop-style so there will be exercises and some pre-work and post-work to make sure participants can implement what they learn in ways that will have a positive impact for them and their goals.
This event takes part during our Mental Awareness Week of events, which includes:
- Professional Development – Social Media for the Overwhelmed
- Feel Good Friday – Good Groove
- Welcome, introductions and housekeeping from Lilly Brend-Fish, SoA (5 mins)
- Presentation by Rupal Patel (60 mins)
- Q&A with audience (20 mins)
- Summary and closing comments from Lilly Brend-Fish (5 mins)
What will this workshop cover?
- How to get attention and PR without it feeling ‘icky’ or ‘self-promotey’
- Reaching a wider audience by tuning into what’s important to you
- Defining your communication preferences so you can use your voice authentically
- Auditing your online profiles to see where they might be letting you down
- Showing you concretely how to show up powerfully and authentically so you can make the impact you want to make and reach the people you want to reach
Who is this workshop for?
All members who might shrink away from being seen and hate the idea of ‘putting themselves out there’. This workshop will help you get more comfortable being seen – on your terms – and showing up powerfully for the things that matter to you.
Send us your questions in advance
If you would like to send questions in advance, email email@example.com with ‘Powerful Professional Presence’ in the subject header. We will prioritise questions sent in advance and answer as many as we can on the day.
SoA @ Home fundraising bookshop
Browse our virtual Bookshop.org store featuring books by authors and speakers taking part in the SoA @ Home Festival. When you make a purchase using our affiliate links a percentage will go to the Authors’ Contingency Fund, providing hardship grants to authors in financial difficulty.
Rupal Patel – Writer
From war zones to boardrooms, Rupal Patel has often been the only woman in ultra-high-octane, Alpha-male environments. After a thrilling career at the CIA, she started her first business almost 10 years ago, and now helps the next generation of leaders and change-makers think bigger, lead better, and be bolder.
Need to know
Before the event
- Once registered, you will be sent a confirmation email with the Zoom link
- If the confirmation email doesn’t arrive in your inbox, please check your junk/spam email folder
- Please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your Safe Senders list so you receive our confirmation, and reminder emails
During the event
- This online event will take place on Zoom Webinar; you will not be visible on screen but will be able ask questions via the Q&A function or interact via the chat box
- This event will be recorded but you won’t be on screen
- Attendees have the option to turn on the live transcript option
- This event is 90 minutes
After the event
- Hashtag for this event: #SoAatHome
- You’ll be able to catch the recording on our Vimeo channel
Book your place by using the registration below.
All SoA @ Home Festival Professional Development sessions are free to SoA Members but, if you can afford it, we recommend a minimum £5 donation to the Authors’ Contingency Fund to help us support authors facing financial hardship during the health crisis. DONATE HERE
Financial support for authors in need through the health crisis and beyond
Since March 2020, the Authors’ Contingency Fund has distributed over £1 million in small grants to authors facing financial hardship due to COVID-19.
With at least 57% of authors facing financial losses during the pandemic, we have helped people struggling financially due to contractual, employment and event cancellations, others who have lost income due to illness, and others prevented from working because of caring responsibilities.
As the health crisis continues, applications for grants continue to come in, and our emergency funds are running low.
So, if you are in a position to help, please donate via the link below. If you are an author facing financial hardship, please click here to see if we can help.
20% off your first year with discount code SOAFESTIVAL20
The Society of Authors is the UK’s biggest trade union for authors – representing more than 11,300 writers, illustrators, translators and other creative practitioners.
Our standard subscription rate is just £26.25 per quarter (£18.50 for students).
As an SoA member, you’ll get:
- Access to all our SoA @ Home Festival events for free
- Unlimited one-to-one professional advice
- Membership of our online and real-world professional networks
- A range of member-only discounts, including books, insurance and travel
- And much more.