- This event has passed.
Professional Development – Social Media Strategies for Authors
5 December 2022 @ 10:00 - 11:30 GMT
You’ve decided you want to use social media to build your author brand and promote yourself and your books, but where do you even start?
Before you jump in and start posting, it is important to determine your social media strategy.
What do you want to use social media for? What do you want to achieve? Who should you be talking to and connecting with? What should you talk about? How will you measure whether it’s working or not?
Join social media specialist, Kelly Weekes as she takes you through the key steps in creating a social media strategy, so you can plan out your social media activity and feel confident building your social media presence.
- Welcome, introductions and housekeeping from Lilly Brend-Fish – SoA, Events and Outreach Assistant (5 mins)
- Presentation by Kelly Weekes (45 mins)
- Comfort break (5 mins)
- Q&A with audience – moderated by Lilly Brend-Fish (20 mins)
- Summary and closing comments (5 mins)
Who is this workshop for?
This session will be useful to anyone new to social media, but keen to get started using it to promote themselves and their books. It will also be useful for people with existing profiles looking to build their channels and make a greater impact with their social media activity.
What will this workshop cover?
- Setting your social media objectives
- Which channels should you be on?
- Understanding and defining your target audience and why this is so important
- How to develop a content strategy that fits with you and your brand
Send us your questions in advance
If you would like to send questions in advance, email [email protected] with ‘Social Media Strategies’ in the subject header. We will prioritise questions sent in advance and answer as many as we can from the audience on the day.
SoA @ Home Fundraising Bookshop
Browse our virtual Bookshop.org store featuring books by authors and speakers taking part in the SoA @ Home Festival. When you make a purchase using our affiliate links a percentage will go to the Authors’ Contingency Fund, providing hardship grants to authors in financial difficulty.
The line -up
Kelly Weekes – Social Media Specialist
Kelly Weekes is a Marketing Mentor and Mindset and Confidence Coach for authors. After working in the marketing departments of some of the biggest trade publishers, she now works directly with authors guiding them to promote themselves more effectively, particularly on social media. She is also an accredited coach and supports authors through mindset challenges such as a fear of judgement, procrastination, overwhelm and self-doubt.
Need to know
Before the event
- Once registered, you will be sent a confirmation email with the Zoom link
- If the confirmation email doesn’t arrive in your inbox, please check your junk/spam email folder
- Please add [email protected] to your Safe Senders list so you receive our confirmation, and reminder emails
During the event
- This online event will take place on Zoom Webinar; you will not be visible on screen but will be able ask questions via the Q&A function or interact via the chat box
- This event will be recorded but you won’t be on screen
- Attendees have the option to turn on the live transcript option
- This event is 90 minutes
After the event
- Hashtag for this event: #SoAatHome
- You’ll be able to catch the recording on our Vimeo channel
Book your place by using the registration below.
All #SoAatHome events are free but if you can afford to, please consider donating to our Authors’ Contingency Fund and we suggest a minimum donation of £5. The fund is to help professional authors experiencing financial hardship. DONATE HERE
Financial support for authors in need through the health crisis and beyond
Since March 2020, the Authors’ Contingency Fund has distributed over £1 million in small grants to authors facing financial hardship due to COVID-19.
With at least 57% of authors facing financial losses during the pandemic, we have helped people struggling financially due to contractual, employment and event cancellations, others who have lost income due to illness, and others prevented from working because of caring responsibilities.
As the health crisis continues, applications for grants continue to come in, and our emergency funds are running low.
So, if you are in a position to help, please donate via the link below. If you are an author facing financial hardship, please click here to see if we can help.
20% off your first year with discount code SOAFESTIVAL20
The Society of Authors is the UK’s biggest trade union for authors – representing more than 11,300 writers, illustrators, translators and other creative practitioners.
Our standard subscription rate is just £26.25 per quarter (£18.50 for students).
As an SoA member, you’ll get:
- Access to all our SoA @ Home Festival events for free
- Unlimited one-to-one professional advice
- Membership of our online and real-world professional networks
- A range of member-only discounts, including books, insurance and travel
- And much more.