Professional Development – Writing about Landscape and Nature
21 March @ 10:00 - 11:30 GMT
Join author and SoA member Karen Lloyd as she discusses the process of writing her book Abundance and explores the approaches of several other writers.
The session will include short writing prompts to enable attendees to begin applying some of the ideas under discussion straight away.
- Welcome, introductions and housekeeping from Lilly Brend-Fish – SoA, Events and Outreach Assistant (3 mins)
- Presentation by Karen Lloyd (60 mins)
- Comfort break (5 mins)
- Q&A with audience – moderated by Lilly Brend-Fish (20 mins)
- Summary and closing comments (2 mins)
Who is this workshop for?
This session is for anyone interested in exploring landscape and wildlife writing.
What will this workshop cover?
This session will explore how writing and literature can usefully and imaginatively respond to both nature and landscape, and how it is an essential means of navigating and communicating hope in the climate crisis.
Send us your questions in advance
If you would like to send questions in advance, email [email protected] with ‘Nature and Landscape’ in the subject header. We will prioritise questions sent in advance and answer as many as we can from the audience on the day.
SoA @ Home Fundraising Bookshop
Browse our virtual Bookshop.org store featuring books by authors and speakers taking part in the SoA @ Home Festival. When you make a purchase using our affiliate links, a percentage will go to the Authors’ Contingency Fund, providing hardship grants to authors in financial difficulty.
The Line -up
Karen Lloyd – Author
Karen Lloyd is the author of Abundance: Nature in Recovery (Bloomsbury), longlisted for the James Cropper Wainwright Prize 2022, The Blackbird Diaries and The Gathering Tide (Saraband). She is the editor of North Country: An Anthology of Landscape and Nature (Saraband) and is writer in residence with Lancaster University’s Future Places Centre.
Need to know
- Attendees will have the option to turn on the live transcript option to watch with subtitles
- If you require BSL interpretation for this event, please email [email protected]
Before the event
- Once registered, you will be sent a confirmation email with the Zoom link
- If the confirmation email doesn’t arrive in your inbox, please check your junk/spam email folder
- Please add [email protected] to your Safe Senders list so you receive our confirmation, and reminder emails
During the event
- This online event will take place on Zoom Webinar; you will not be visible on screen but will be able ask questions via the Q&A function or interact via the chat box
- This event will be recorded but you won’t be on screen
- This event is 90 minutes
After the event
- Hashtag for this event: #SoAatHome
- You’ll be able to catch the recording on our Vimeo channel
Book your place by using the registration below.
All #SoAatHome events are free but if you can afford to, please consider donating to our Authors’ Contingency Fund and we suggest a minimum donation of £5. The fund is to help professional authors experiencing financial hardship. DONATE HERE
Financial support for authors in need through the health crisis and beyond
Since March 2020, the Authors’ Contingency Fund has distributed over £1 million in small grants to authors facing financial hardship due to COVID-19.
With at least 57% of authors facing financial losses during the pandemic, we have helped people struggling financially due to contractual, employment and event cancellations, others who have lost income due to illness, and others prevented from working because of caring responsibilities.
As the health crisis continues, applications for grants continue to come in, and our emergency funds are running low.
So, if you are in a position to help, please donate via the link below. If you are an author facing financial hardship, please click here to see if we can help.
20% off your first year with discount code SOAFESTIVAL20
The Society of Authors is the UK’s biggest trade union for authors – representing more than 11,300 writers, illustrators, translators and other creative practitioners.
Our standard subscription rate is just £26.25 per quarter (£18.50 for students).
As an SoA member, you’ll get:
- Access to all our SoA @ Home Festival events for free
- Unlimited one-to-one professional advice
- Membership of our online and real-world professional networks
- A range of member-only discounts, including books, insurance and travel
- And much more.
We'll send you the Zoom joining details by email.