SoA Literary Walk
15 September @ 15:30 - 17:30 BST
SoA members are invited to join us for a Literary Walk hosted by Green Badge City of London Guide, Sam Jacobs.
Enjoy a walk through London’s history, seeing sights from pubs to churches and statues associated with some of the greatest writers.
You will walk through important historical places in the lives of William Shakespeare, Chaucer, Milton, Thomas More, Jane Austen, Wordsworth, Charles Dickens, Walter Bagehot the Bronte Sisters, Gray, Dr Johnson, TS Eliot, Agatha Christie, Lemn Sissay, the Wind in the Willows, Karl Marx and John Wilkes. We’ll also discuss jolly pubs such as the Old Cheshire Cheese, a monument to the man who wrote King Kong, Irish Journalists, Yeats, James Joyce, newspaper innovators, book burning, the stationery trade, John Donne, Alexander Pope, and more.
This is a relaxed and enjoyable way to meet fellow SoA members.
Join us afterwards back at Bedford Row for our Autumn SoA Late.
Sign up here. The SoA Lates is a member only event but guests are welcome to join members.
Who is this event for?
Anyone interested in the sights of London and their associations with writers and books.
- 3pm – Meet at SoA Offices, Bedford Row
- 3:30pm – Tour starts, led by Sam Jacobs
- 5.30pm – Tour ends and head back to Bedford Row
- 6-8pm – SoA Lates, Bedford Row
Sam is a certified green badge City of London guide, through the Institute of Tourism course. He leads walks around Literary London, Wren’s Churches, Fire of London sites, Smithfield, Roman places of interest, Fleet Street and photography tours. Sam has lived and worked in London all his life. With a degree in Literature from Cambridge University, he has worked in computer software since the early 80s. He is currently serving as a trustee of two national charities.
We recommend the following:
- Staying home if you’re feeling unwell or have COVID-19 symptoms
- Taking a Lateral Flow test within 24 hours of the event
- Washing your hands when coming in from the outdoors and / or before touching your face
- Applying alcohol hand sanitiser (we will have these on site)
QR code – The Literary Walks Facebook Group