Usual grants will be under £100 and no more than £350, but fair consideration will be given to all proposals.
Deadlines for applications
The fund will begin accepting applications from 1 January 2023.
The fund will be open all year round and claims under £150 will be assessed on a rolling basis (usually within two weeks) with larger requests processed on a quarterly basis.
Grants are awarded to all authors, by which we mean:
- Anyone who creates work for publication, broadcast or performance. You do not need to be a member to apply but you should meet our criteria for membership. You can find out more about this eligibility here
- Open to UK residents and British citizens.
Grants can be used for:
- Travel to events including overnight stays and subsistence.
- Childcare and carer support.
- Travel, accommodation, and subsistence for a companion if one is required.
- Other access needs such as materials translated into an accessible format.
Grants cannot be used for:
- Events where an author has been invited to speak as these expenses should be covered by the organisation running the event.
- Course fees.
- If you are unsure if you are eligible please get in touch with [email protected] and we will be able to discuss your individual circumstances with you.
- We would generally prefer applicants to fund at least 25% of the cost themselves but applications for up to 100% of costs can be made.
- All travel and accommodation should be in line with the SoA Expense Policy and we will need electronic copies of all invoices/receipts.
- Grants of a smaller percentage may be awarded based on circumstances
How to apply
Please download the application form from the link below.
You can submit your application by email or by post to:
The Society of Authors
24 Bedford Row
London WC1R 4EH
Please note: For grants to assist with substantial research or travel costs, or to ‘buy time’ to complete a work in progress, see the Authors’ Foundation.
Authors Awards and Advancement Charity No 1182586