Last reviewed March 2022
These are the terms and conditions that will enable you to book in-person Society of Authors (SoA) events. Please read these prior to booking your ticket.
Ticket Pricing and Payment
- All event prices quoted are inclusive of VAT.
- SoA members are eligible for a member discount on all events. Once logged into our website, the discount will automatically be applied at the time of booking.
- To secure your booking, all tickets will need to be paid in full and a confirmation email will be sent.
- We can accept payment via debit and credit card via Stripe an online payment provider.
- We are unable to accept payment via American Express or PayPal.
- To successfully process your online booking, we will take your name, address and other details and then you will be transferred to a secure page to enter your credit or debit card details and finalise the payment process. Stripe will need to know certain information about you in order to process payment for the booking and you hereby consent to the transfer by us to Stripe for such information.
Once you have completed your booking registration form, you will receive confirmation via email. If this does not come through, please email e[email protected]. Please add this email address to your safe senders list.
Dignity and Respect
We are committed to protecting the rights and dignity of its employees, members and colleagues and expects the same from those with whom it works. Please read our Dignity and Respect policy.
We reserves the right to amend and update event content when deemed necessary which may be for reasons beyond our control including last minute speaker changes. We will not be able to offer a refund if you decide to cancel your booking because of this.
We request that you please let us know of any medical conditions or dietary requirements at the time of booking that will impact your participation in our events.
We reserve the right to change the venue of our event for reasons beyond our control. You are liable for any loss or damage to our premises
Since April 2020 in response to the global pandemic, a significant number of SoA events are now held online, via Zoom which is a GDPR compliant video conferencing platform with full end to end encryption. Our online events are:
- Password protected
- Have the Waiting Room enabled
- We reserve the right to remove attendees if their behaviour is in breach of our Dignity and Respect policy.
- We notify attendees when events are being recorded
In Person Events Cancellations and Refunds Policy
- All tickets are transferable to other members.
- A member who cannot attend an event cannot transfer their ticket to a non-member, only a member.
- A member cannot buy a member-price ticket on behalf of a non-member, even one living at the same address.
Cancellation by attendee: ticket is less than £15
- Full refund if the purchaser cancels before the event.
Cancellation by attendee: ticket costs over £15
- Full refund if event sells out and SoA can sell ticket to another member before event.
- If cancellation made more than 30 days before event: full refund.
- If cancellation made between 14 and 30 days before event: 50% refund.
- If cancellation made fewer than 14 days before event: no refund.
Cancellation by SoA
- If the SoA cancels the event for any reason, the attendee will receive a full refund.
- If the SoA postpones an event for any reason and the delegate is unable or unwilling to attend in on the rescheduled date, the attendee will receive a full refund.
When attendees participate in an SoA event either online or in person, all materials provided (included but not limited to course notes, PowerPoint slides; handouts; articles or case studies are the property of the SoA or our speakers.
We often take images out our events for marketing purposes. By attending our events, you are giving us permission to use images in which you may be present, these images may be shared and stored on third party platforms including our website or social media channels. If you do not wish to be in our images, please email [email protected] or let a member of the SoA team know at the event.
We are unable to accept responsibility for any loss or damage to your personal belongings.
Circumstances beyond our control
We are unable to accept liability for circumstances beyond our control; such as but not limited to:
- Strikes, or industrial action;
- Riot, terrorist attack or threat of terrorist attack, war;
- Fire, explosion, storm, flood, earthquake, subsidence, epidemic or other natural disaster;
- Impossibility of the use of railways, shipping, aircraft, motor transport or other means of public or private transport;
- Impossibility of the use of public or private telecommunications networks; and
- The acts, legislation, regulations, or restrictions of any government.
We reserve the right to amend and update these terms and conditions.