In memory of Malcolm Lowry and endowed by Gordon Bowker, his biographer, and Ramdei Bowker.
A prize awarded to a UK or Irish writer, or a writer currently resident in those countries, for a novel focusing on the experience of travel away from home.
Inspired by Malcolm Lowry’s novel, Under the Volcano and in celebration of its author, the prize aims to inspire literary excellence and encourage writers to travel and to write from the resulting experience.
The winner will receive £2,000 and the runner-up £750.
Entry to the 2022 prize is now closed.
- Deadline for entries: 31 October 2021
- The novel must be a full length work in the English language by one living author (not a translation, and not a work for children).
- The novel must have been first published in the UK or Ireland between 1 November 2020 and 31 October 2021.
- The author must be British or Irish, or be currently resident in the UK or Ireland at the time of submission to the prize.
- We cannot accept books that are only available in e-format or that are self-published or where the author has contributed or paid for the costs of publishing.
- Submissions must be made by the print publisher and are limited to two submissions per imprint. Publishers are invited to submit a maximum of one additional call-in title.
Art © Annabelle Carvell