The Schlegel-Tieck Prize is an annual award of £3,000 for translations into English of full length German works of literary merit and general interest.
First awarded in 1965 and named for two poets of the Romantic period, August Wilhelm Schlegel (1767-1845) and Ludwig Tieck (1773-1853), the prize is generously sponsored by the Goethe-Institut.
The Schlegel-Tieck Prize 2020 winner was Martyn Crucefix for his translation of These Numbered Days by Peter Huchel (Shearsman Books)
The runner-up was Jamie Bulloch for his translation ofYou Would Have Missed Me by Birgit Vanderbeke (Peirene Press)
The 2021 Prize is now open and will close for submissions on
Sunday 28 February, 5pm (GMT)
- Entries must be translations from German into English.
- The original must have been first published in the last 100 years.
- Entries must have been published in 2020.
- Full Terms and Conditions are listed at the start of the entry form.
- Presented at a ceremony in 2022.